Thursday, September 1, 2016

Where Family Caregivers can get Help for their Child with Special Needs

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As this will be my last blog, I wanted to review the systems that family caregivers are navigating for their children with special needs and how to get help in a quick cheat sheet.

School Issues

There is a Parent Training and Information Center in each state.  They offer free assistance to families for both special and general education issues.  PTIs can help parents know what about their rights and school district responsibilities.  (See Resources)

Health Care

There are Family Voices (special health care needs) and Family-to-Family Health Information Centers in every state.  They help families for free on how to find health insurance, information on a new diagnosis, and getting therapies and other specialized services covered.  

Mental Health

There are actually 2 good resources for families:  the National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health and the National Alliance on Mental Illness.  They (again free) can help parents whose children have challenging behaviors connect to resources in their state to help.

Family Support
Besides support groups, Parent-to-Parent matches trained volunteer parents to a family of a child with the same condition (again free.)  They can also help families by sharing their own experiences.  For parents of children with developmental disabilities, there is a Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities in each state which is a good source of information to families as well as a Protection and Advocacy/Disability Rights organization.  For children transitioning to adult life, there are Centers for Independent Living that can help develop independent living skills.  

Family caregivers of children with special needs may be involved in many “systems.”  By finding organizations that provide information and support, they can get the best services for their child with special needs.  


Parent Training & Information Centers


Family Voices

Family-to-Family Health Information Centers

National Alliance on Mental Illness

National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health


Councils on Developmental Disabilities

National Disability Rights Network

National Council on Independent Living

Remain Hopeful,


Lauren Agoratus is a parent/advocate who works for the Statewide Parent Advocacy Network and serves as the NJ Coordinator for Family Voices (, a national network that works to “keep families at the center of children’s healthcare” at or FB  She also serves as NJ representative supporting caregivers across the lifespan for the Caregiver Action Network (formerly National Family Caregivers Association) in a volunteer capacity at or FB


  1. Real and Powerful love Spell to Get Your Ex Back Fast,Email him at: .
    I have been looking for a love spell to bring back my husband after been separated for 3years, I have tried 3 different spell caster which I paid them money and non of them was able to get my husband back and this make me look frustrated until a friend of mine direct me to great Dr.Unity Spell Caster who did what I called love spell I was in contact with him and after 48hours my husband call me and said he want us to be together and now we are back again with my 12 years old daughter and there is more romance in our relationship,please if any one need a real love spell or been scam before then great Dr.Unity spell is the solution to your relationship problem you can reach him at:[ ],you can also call or Add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464.

  2. If you have children with any kinds or problems you should have a peek at this weblink where a lot of moms sharing their tips on how to take care of children and advice each other what to do

    1. That is a link to homework help. Can you solicit somewhere else? We are parents raising special needs children.

  3. Real and Powerful love Spell To Get Your Ex Back Fast online!
    After 13 yrs of marriage,a very big problem occurred in my Marriage seven months ago, between me and my terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce. he said that he never wanted to stay with me again,and that he didn't love me anymore.So he packed out of the house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back,after much begging,but all to no avail.and he confirmed it that he has made his decision,and he never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my husband .So i explained every thing to him,so he told me that the only way i can get my husband back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for him too.So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the email address of the spell caster whom he visited.[ ]. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address he gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my husband back the next day. What an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me, and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past 7 months, gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back. So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster. So, i will advice you out there if you have any problem contact Dr.Unity, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you.. Email him at:[ ],you can also call or Add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464